Scores for Saturday 11 March 2023

Yes, it feels like spring again but it could be short lived, I think the following picture is probably more appropriate for this week. There was a 20 degree difference between the lowest and highest temperatures in the UK last night!!


The lamb (small sheep) has some other relevance for me this week as on Monday I received my freedom of the city of London.  A nice ceremony at Guildhall in London allowing me to go ahead with my full Liveryman application this summer. It doen't quite give me the right to drive sheep across London Bridge, it in fact allows me to avoid paying a tythe for entering the city. Obviously this is not so relevant these days but marked you as someone of importance in days gone by. I did ask if I could avoid paying the congestion charge but sadly I didn't get the answer I would've liked. 

Today the weather was rather pleasant. After the uncertainty regarding whether the course would be open and the morning booking fiasco, all was well. Richard has sorted the tee times for 25 March so we're spared the problem of trying to figure out who should play when.

We were surprised to find we were playing off whites today. It seems perhaps a little premature given the conditions lately but it does mean we're not far from winter rules being cancelled for the spring/summer. Bunkers were GUR all over the course today following the snow, sleet, rain and frost this week.

Birdies were a bit more scarce this week: Andy (18) James (7) and Roger Gibbs (16) Well done all!

The average stableford score was significantly down today at 26.67, demonstrating our aversity to the white tees I guess! The fourth hole proved to be particularly problematic this morning with only 2 pars and 2 bogies with the rest scoring double or worse. The average gross score was up a tad at 93.9. A moral victory for me today as despite playing pretty badly (losing balls off tee etc.) I managed (with some help from the field) to narrow the gap between my score and first place by 10 points!

Our winner today with 34 points is the ever popular Andy Simpkin. We heard him talking about himself on the 8th as we came down the 7th so figured he was probably having a good round, at least we  assumed he was talking about himself because he was talking! Well done Andy. 

In second place, of course it's none other than the Steve "Bridesmaid" Reynolds. 30 points was enough to secure the second spot today, quite a contrast from playing off the yellows last week. 

The front 9 went to James Miller, he told me he'd scored 17 on the front 9 when I enquired how his round was going on the 13th, he said it wasn't bad well I think it was good, at least good enough to take the front 9. Well done James.

The back 9 went to Pete Laurence with 18. Pete demonstrated he was in good form although he also struggled a little off the white tee today. Well done Pete.

Have a great week gents!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scores for Saturday 21 October 2023

Scores for Saturday 19 August 2023

Scores for Saturday 6 April 2024